Educational Program Objectives
The mission of the Materials Science and Engineering Department at the University of Maryland is to provide a quality engineering education, research at the forefront of the field, and leadership to the Materials Science and Engineering communities. We will continually improve our educational and research programs, attract the best students and improve the stature and visibility of the program.
Our educational programs will have the following objectives:
- Produce high quality graduates who will be successful in their chosen careers in industry, government or academia, in the State of Maryland, the nation and the world.
- Produce graduates who demonstrate the ability define and solve engineering and science problems in the field of Materials Science and Engineering throughout their careers.
- Produce graduates who demonstrate the ability to relate basic physics, math and engineering principles to the field of Materials Science and Engineering so they can function professionally as materials engineers and scientists.
- Produce graduates who design and engineer materials and materials systems for future generations of products and demonstrate a continuous upgrading their knowledge to address and impact the rapid pace of technological advances.
The Department will support our students with an educational program at both the graduate and undergraduate levels that has sufficient breadth in both fundamental and specialized engineering topics to insure our graduates meet the current and future needs of society. In the area of research, the Department conducts a range of scientific research programs and establishes partnerships with government and industry, both in Maryland and elsewhere, to accomplish this goal.
The overall educational outcomes of the Materials Science and Engineering Program are to provide undergraduate engineering students:
- Ability to apply knowledge of math, engineering and science
- Ability to design and conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data
- Ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs
- Ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Broad education to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context
- Recognition of need and ability to engage in life-long learning
- Knowledge of contemporary issues
- Ability to use techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for practice