Professor Sreeramamurthy Ankem
Ph.D., Polytechnic Institute of New York, 1980
Room 1105 Chemical and Nuclear Engineering Building
Phone: (301) 405-5219
- Physical and Mechanical behavior of titanium alloys
- Modeling microstructure evolution in multiphase systems
- Finite element modeling (FEM) of deformation and damping behavior of composite materials.
- Biomedical implants
"Determination of Activation Energies and Modeling of Low Temperature Creep of Alpha, Alpha-Beta and Beta-Titanium Alloys," funded by the National Science Foundation.
"SGER: Innovative Fabrication of Microporous Surfaces with Nano-Roughness on Titanium Biomedical Implants," funded by the National Science Foundation.
- Fellow, American Society for Metals (FASM), 2001.
- George Kimball Burgess Memorial Award, 1996-97.
This is the highest award given annually by the Washington, D.C. chapter of ASM International in recognition of outstanding achievements in research or administration in the materials field by a member in the Washington, D.C. chapter.
- ASM International Materials Science Division Research Award, 1990.
- ASM International—Indian Institute of Metals Lectureship, 1991.
- Alpha Sigma Mu, 1978.
- Sigma Xi, 1978.
Professor Ankem regularly teaches or has taught the following courses:
- ENES 100: Introduction to Engineering Design
- ENMA 362: Mechanical Properties, with lab
- ENMA 461: Thermodynamics of Materials
- ENMA 464: Environmental Effects on Engineering Materials
- ENMA 471: Kinetics, Diffusion and Phase Transformations
- ENMA 472: Technology and Design of Engineering Materials
- ENMA 489A/698C: Design of Composite Materials
- ENRE 648L: Materials Selection and Mechanical Reliability
- ENMA 661: Kinetics of Reactions in Materials
Oberson, P.G. & Ankem, S., The effect of time-dependent twinning on low temperature (< 0.25*T-m) creep of an alpha-titanium alloy. International Journal of Plasticity 25 (5), 881-900 (2009).
Jaworski, A. & Ankem, S., Influence of the second phase on the room-temperature tensile and creep deformation mechanisms of alpha-beta titanium alloys: Part I. Tensile deformation. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a—Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science 37A (9), 2739-2754 (2006).
Jaworski, A. & Ankem, S., Influence of the second phase on the room-temperature tensile and creep deformation mechanisms of alpha-beta titanium alloys, Part II: Creep deformation. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a—Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science 37A (9), 2755-2765 (2006).
Ankem, S., Margolin, H., Greene, C.A., Neuberger, B.W., & Oberson, P.G., Mechanical properties of alloys consisting of two ductile phases. Progress in Materials Science 51 (5), 632-709 (2006).
Jaworski, A. & Ankem, S., The effect of alpha phase on the deformation mechanisms of beta titanium alloys. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 14 (6), 755-760 (2005).
Oberson, P.G. & Ankem, S., Why twins do not grow at the speed of sound all the time. Physical Review Letters 95 (16), (2005).
"Microstructure- Property Relationships of Titanium Alloys," Edited by S. Ankem and J.A Hall, Proceedings of the Harold Margolin Symposium on Microstructure—Property Relationships of Titanium Alloys, 1994 TMS Annual Meeting. Published by TMS, 1995, ISBN No: 0-87339-246-9.
"Advances in Twinning," Edited by S. Ankem and C.S. Pande, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Advances in Twinning, 1999 TMS Annual Meeting, published by TMS, 1999, ISBN No. 0-87339-430-5.
"Science and Technology of Interfaces," Edited by S. Ankem, C. S. Pande, Ovidko, and S. Ranganathan, Proceedings of the International symposium on Science and Technology of interfaces in honor of Dr. Bhakta Rath, 2002, TMS Annual Meeting, Published by TMS, 2002, ISBN No. 0-87339-520-4. This book is also available in the form of a CD.
Invited keynote presentation "Recent Advances in Twinning," S. Ankem and P.G. Oberson, Presented at the "International Symposium on Plasticity," January 3-8, 2008, Kona, Hawaii.
"The Role of Deformation Twinning on Creep of Titanium Alloys," S. Ankem and P.G. Oberson, Presented at "The 6th Pacific Rim International Conference on Advanced Materials and Processing," November 5-9, 2007, Jeiu Island, Korea.
Invited presentation "The Role of Twinning on the Room Temperature Creep Behavior of Titanium Alloys," S. Ankem and P.G. Oberson, Presented at the "11th World Conference on Titanium," June 3-7, 2007, Kyoto, Japan.
Invited keynote presentation "Recent Developments in the Ambient Temperature Creep Deformation Behavior of α and α-β Titanium Alloys," S. Ankem and P. G. Oberson, Presented at the "Indo-US workshop on Recent Advances on Microstructure, Texture, and Property Relations in Close Packed Materials," December 28-30, 2005, Visakhapatnam, India.
Invited presentation on nanostructures of bulk materials at International Conference of Nanomaterials and Nanotechnologies (NN2005), June 14-18, 2005, Crete, Greece.
"Advances in Ambient Temperature Creep Deformation Behavior of Two-Phase Titanium Alloys," A. Jaworski Jr. and S. Ankem, Proceedings of the 5th Pacific Rim International Conference on Advanced Materials and Processing, PRICM-5, November 2-5, 2004, Beijing, China.
ASM International, 1976-present.
American Institute of Metallurgical Engineers, 1976-present.
- Member, MSD/ASM Materials Processing Committee, 1984-present.
- Member, TMS Titanium Committee, 1982-present.
- Chairman, Scholarship Committee of ASM International, Washington D.C Chapter, 1993-Present.
- Chairman of TMS Titanium committee, 2007-Present.